Sunday, April 14, 2013

Matilde

Hey everyone!
So mainly I am writing because my mother wanted me to and because everyone comments to her about my blog! There is a comment section below if you ever want to ask me anything/find out more about something!
(Deborah-- I'm keeping tags on where you need to visit while you're here).

The best way to describe the past two weeks is in pictures.
Spring break started in London with Mom, which was amazing. Fish and chips all the way! We got to see Wicked in wicked awesome seats!!! It was my first time seeing it and I was utterly amazed. Such a powerful story and the lyrics truly inspire! Seeing Stonehenge, the Roman Baths, and Windsor Castle was probably my favorite day! The QUEEN was in residence during our visit! My old colleagues Mia and Ryan would have loved that visit! It was very special. I also had the best french martini I've ever had at Henry's Bar right next to Green Park. The weather wasn't so great but being with mom made up for it :)

Our train ride to Paris was actually really cool! A nice break from flying cheap airlines like ryanair!!
After MUL-TI-PLE attempts to get my father to come up from Toulouse to Paris, HE and my MOTHER surprised me!! He arrived really late and my mother made me stay up (we went to the bar, naturally) when all I wanted to do was sleep!

Here are just a few pictures from Spring Break.





Queens flag! 

Roman Baths!

It was FREEZING at Stonehenge













The past week has been busy getting back into routine and trying to get all my reading done for classes. I'm not sure, but I feel like I have more reading required here than I have in any of my science classes! Crazy! Nonetheless I'm enjoying the book we just started for my Literature class, Italian Environmental Literature -- a series of poems, prose, and environmental literature by Italian writers. Simply a beautiful translation into English.
The elderly are currently my favorite part of Siena. I am so impressed with how old they are and still managing to walk up tedious hills in the city center AND step on and off busses as swiftly as the teenagers. It is truly amazing and I am learning it has to do with food-- its so fresh -- and lack of personal transportation so they WALK every where. I'm amazed and hope I can initiate that type of routine in my everyday life in the States.

Tuesday at soccer practice I met a young girl, age 7, named Matilde. Because I am not on the "team" I practice/scrimmage with the WAAAAY younger crowd... but it's the best because I partly get to coach and I have an undying passion to interact with children.
Matilde was very shy at first. She doesn't have a team or any teammates because she is the youngest girl. The high school team is 13-18, middle school group 10-12, and Matilde has no one. We were doing our warm up laps and she got so tired of running and dribbling and asked if she could run without the ball. It was so precious. We had a short conversation during stretching-- simple stuff: age, where do I live, why I'm in Italy. And we just clicked. We were partners durning a few skill drills and every time she didn't get the ball back to me she would exclaim "Scusa!!!" When I had to leave to catch the last bus home she asked with a sad face if I was ever coming back and how many practices I would be coming to, I told her I'd be there as much as I can :)
Thursday I missed the bus to practice so I ended up running to Uopini, about a 5k UPHILL. You want to know or talk about hills? Oh Mio Dio! I ran a race this morning with my host mother Anna Maria. 15k. I was 'Margherita' for the day because I didn't have the proper health form.. we had a blast and the best part was that a bottle of WINE was our 'medal'. I finished in an hour and a half and am so happy I got the opportunity to run it with my host mom! It made for a good mother daughter bonding morning.

I'll try and fill you in more in the future, but for now (as you may know I have a passion for photography) i'll just post some pictures!









No comments:

Post a Comment