Friday, March 29, 2013

Buca Mario

I have to apologize for the long wait for my next blog post. I have been busy studying for midterms and preparing for spring break.
After a wonderful weekend with dad in France I was sick for a few days. I did however, get to play soccer with a soccer club in Siena and their players from a few different teams. Gioia's daughter and son have joined her in Italy for the last half of semester and they are becoming my second family here! Giovanna, her daughter, is playing with them and hopefully playing in a few games! I played on the "vecchio" team with the other coaches and she played with the "giovanni" young players team. Soccer is huge here, as you can imagine. There is at least two games on every week and I managed to catch two games with my host brother, Lorenzo, this week. I am very excited to get tickets for the Siena vs. Roma game at the end of April. 

Friday we had an art history field trip to Florence. We had presentations in the Uffizi Gallery and it was pretty cool, because instead of giving a presentation with a PowerPoint picture we were STANDING in front of the REAL THING! My group did pieces on Botticelli and Parmigianino. The Uffizi gallery is visually overwhelming. There are so many styles and artists presented in such a large space. Room after room you become more and more inspired. 

After school my friend Sophia and I ventured to an old apothecary. It was SO cool seeing all of the old bottles and tools they used, reminded me of dad's bottles that he found with his brothers that were dug up from one of their uncles yards. The apothecary had a creepy garden in the middle of it that was eerie and gloomy. Maybe the weather added a bit of the scariness to it, the whole thing reminded me of where Juliet went to get her "sleeping" potion.





Friday night my dad arrived in Florence for his first visit to Italy, ever! I had made reservations at the same restaurant I ate at with mom! His train arrived molto in ritardo (very late). And we walked straight to dinner! 
----*if you are visiting Florence in your lifetime EAT AT BUCA MARIO! It is by far the best place in Florence. We laughed, ate toooo much and even got a little tipsy. The seafood pasta was unbelievable. And the second night we had a piece of every dessert on the dessert tray. For those of you that know me.. I like my sweets.. and so does my diabetic father. It was a good bonding moment.












Saturday we had a late start but a great morning. We had coffee at 4 different bars (bars = coffee shops) and dad is hilarious because Italians stand and drink their coffee and he wanted to sit everywhere we went-total tourist!! Florence is becoming very busy every trip I take. Lots of tourists. But what was SO cool was that as we were walking around the city I was able to give Dad an art history lecture. We managed to climb the top of the tower of the Duomo and saw magnificent views! (414 steps).
*Had to take a break at the top*


We tried seeing The David a few times during the day but the line was too long for dad so we searched for Démodé, the restaurant mom told use to go to for lunch! Kristy Schena had mentioned to me that I would find a favorite church while I was over here and I think I found it. Chiesa Orsanmichele. I visited it briefly with my class the previous field trip and I wanted Dad to see it so we walked in and there was a Palm Sunday service happening! We stayed for the service, which was all in Italian, and it made me fall more in love with Orsanmichele. 











We were also able to  climb the dome of the Duomo(490ish steps) and the stained class windows were stunning. Dad took a picture of EVERY SINGLE ONE. I think he really enjoyed it. The fresco's on the dome were actually quite shocking. Scenes from the Bible of course, but ones that included daemons and giants. 

**^For Dr. Gina Marie Conflitti/Bills ^** 

**For all our friends and family**



Sunday we saw The David and then walked on the other side of the river. We accidentally ran into Bobili Gardens and I am so glad we did!! We had so much fun!!! Walking around for about 2 hours looking at all the statues and views Bobili had to offer. The fountains at Bobili (Pictures above) are absolutely brilliant. I cannot believe how much history is in this town and in Siena too!
 It was sad to see him leave but it was nonetheless another fantastic weekend with my dad!! 

Monday was review day for most of my midterms. This week has been packed with reading and note taking.   But for some reason I am less stressed here takin' exams than I am at home.. Maybe I should just move to Italy for the rest of my degree... :) 

Today I had my oral Italian exam and my art history exam. Glad they are over!!! Just need to pack for London/Paris and ill be on my way to the BEST SPRING BREAK EVER!






No comments:

Post a Comment