Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Addiction: Wednesday morning market!

Buon giorno!

Today has been a great day. I woke up in a really good mood because the sun was shining! Monday it snowed most of the morning and then drizzled rain through out the day. The weather reminds me of being in flagstaff!
Monday we took a class trip to the Duomo which was amazing. Old frescos and candles surrounded us as we walked in. Everything was written in Latin-- it made me want to learn it!   For my sustainability and literature class we have to keep a journal. And this weeks prompt is 'reflect on the ancient' and today I thought to myself, that's really easy living in such an ancient city!!
Yesterday during our Italian culture class we walked around the city and our final destination was St. Catherine's house. It was soooooo beautiful. I think I liked it more than the  Duomo. I went to sit in the Chapel after our class had been dismissed and prayed and reflected for about 15 minutes. Let me tell you- it was the most relaxing 15 minutes I've spent here. I have been overwhelmed with starting classes, a huge Italian exam Friday, permit to stay, and so much more. Luckily my mother is sending me JIFF EXTRA CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER in a care package!
Today we have to do our permit to stay stuff. I have been running all over town getting fingerprinted and the man that did my finger prints is actually our downstairs neighbor! He is also hosting an American girl named Kristin!! We occasionally ride the bus together and have since become friends! He was such a nice man and made the fingerprinting process a bit easier :)
Tonight (and every Wednesday night) I get to spend two hours with Italian children teaching them English songs!! Their class is called learning English through music! I will also be volunteering weekly at an elementary school during English lessons and helping the school put on a small production of Grease (one of my favorites!!)
I promised Makenzie I would get lost for her-- and this afternoon I did! I took streets I had never been on before, ran into four dead ends, and found a few gardens!

OH! I forgot to tell you about the Wednesday market!!! Cheap cheap cheap! I think my favorite part is the food. So many vegetables and fruits freshly picked and TONS of artichokes right now. Luckily I love them! The fruit almost looks fake because it is so fresh. The Tuscan salami TO DIE FOR. The flowers are also absolutely breathtaking! I saw an orchid today and it reminded me of my yiayia. I hope she's proud of the women I have become. I think alot about her here, and buba. Luckily uncle Lou is going to set a Skype date up for buba and I!!!

AND THEN  there is the shopping! Everything for the most part is 10€ or less. This can be dangerous! Because it can add up fast! I bought a few things and have bought some Italian yarn to start Cooper's blanket (Jessie and Jeff's new born!)

I will post a few pictures when I have my laptop with me. I usually only carry around my phone because of the limited Internet.
For those of you that wanted it here is my address for letters/packages!


Siena School for Liberal Arts
Kali N Bills
Via Tommaso Pendola 37
53100 Siena, Italy

Ciao!

-kali


No comments:

Post a Comment