Saturday, February 9, 2013

Calcio!

Ciao tutti!

The days seem so long but I feel like my time here is flying by! One more week of intensive Italian and then classes start! My photography class is going to be my favorite (sorry Gioia!) I am SO EXCITED to start shooting with film. I have this desperate and hopeless passion for photography and I am thrilled that I get to work with film/photography in a country with so much gorgeous landscape! Art History will be taught by my Italian teacher, Roberto. He is brilliant and so knowledgeable about every detail having to do with Siena. Being Sienese he brings such a true love and passion for his city and it's history. Literature, Landscape and Sustainability will be taught by Gioia Woods. I am so excited to have her here! I have just finished our first required book which was about a naturalists journey through Italy. A remarkable story. 4 classes, 10+ excursions, 1 photo journal, 1 litlansus journal and ALL in such an amazing region of Italy. I am one lucky girl.

Sunday we visited Castello di Monteriggioni.  It was absolutely break taking! (Deborah-- put this on your list while you are in Tuscany if you have time!) We took the train from Siena to Castellina in Chianti and then walked to the castle. It is literally on the top of a hill. The walls of the castle looked ancient and the streets looked as if they were on medieval movie set. I was in photography heaven.


^^ A few of us from NAU including Prof. Woods! 


Unfortunately I got sick Monday and Tuesday and stayed home from school. Being away really makes me appreciate what I have at home because all I wanted was a hot bath!
Getting lost in the citta is my absolute favorite thing! With time to kill before the afternoon bus on Wednesday, I got lost.  I am beginning to get around quite well however getting completely lost is the best! I found the absolute perfect park to study in, the perfect cafe for a cheap cup of tea, and the best places to buy yarn! In the afternoon I had tea with our program director Miriam. We talked about adjusting to daily living, food, school and much much more. She has really created the perfect program for students whom love the arts!
Thursday night Prof. Woods (the visiting professor from NAU here with us) took the NAU group 'The Tea Room'.. and not only do I have another mother figure in Italy with me, we found a great place to study!!! The atmosphere is calming and the decor is subtle yet bold. The teapots are also stunning (as Anna Maria says molto bello).


Friday for class we had a culture class and Roberto took us all around inside the city walls describing parts of the city that were the oldest, pointing out different types of buildings and giving brief historical stories of how the city came to be the way it is now. Just an amazing morning all around. 

Friday night I had the best night of my life. I went for a short 20 minute run around my small Petriccio neighborhood and for my cool down I climbed this massive hill. Atop the hill was a turf field where 4 or 5 guys were playing soccer. I ventured over to the gate and asked if I could use the field or if I could kick the ball around with the guys. None of the men spoke English so it was really fun being able to try and ask/speak in all Italian. Sadly they told me tonight was a mens night and that the girls played on Mondays, but there were no teams my age. However just as I said thank you and started to walk away one of the old men told me to come back and walked me over to the gate of the field. I stepped on the turf and my soul was at peace! THE FIELD WILL ALWAYS BE HOME! I started kicking around with a few of the men warming up and most of them introduced themselves to me. During the warm up I got a pass from center mid where I stood waiting for the ball, took one dribble to the right and let the ball rip. Right into the top right corner of the net, I had made an amazing shot from midfield. ALL of the men stopped and stared. They all looked at each other in awe. Someone said something and EVERYONE burst out laughing, including myself -- even though I had no idea what they had said. When more and more showed up I figured it was my time to leave. Just as I was thanking them and saying goodbye they hustled me back and told me I was playing in the game with them! I was so happy! It made my night!! I played with them for about an hour and headed home on a super high! All of the men were 40+ with a few handsome young ones. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my Friday night any other way! It was one for the books. 
And I think my Coach would have been proud and I know he was watching me from Heaven. 

After this week I have come to this conclusion and have really taken it to heart: Life is short, life is beautiful. Cherish the little moments and love unconditionally. 

a presto,

-kali 

No comments:

Post a Comment