Saturday, February 2, 2013

Petriccio

My first week of intensive Italian is over and I am so happy I moved into level two! This language is so confusing though! Connor and I studied for two hours today in a small cafe called Meet Life Cafe. It was very comfortable and I ordered my tea all in Italian! I was so proud of myself!!

This past week our school day ended at noon every day. So we had afternoons to explore and/or attend student life meetings or group activities. Every day after school I have been practicing my Italian with my new friend Andrea. He doesn't speak any English and makes fun of my Italian. And he's also good looking :) and I have taught him a few very important phrases in English. "I am lucky" and "You are beautiful!" He also asks about my mother all the time because G is the one who introduced us. 

Most of the mornings start out chilly and out of my window I can see the rolling hills of Tuscany gently covered by the morning mist. I take bus 5 every day from Petriccio to Piazza Sale which is about a 20 minute bus ride and then a 15 minute walk to school. Every morning the sweets in bakery windows tease me every step of the way! By mid morning the fog disappears to reveal some of the most magnificent views I have ever seen. And of course the best part about my half day is catching some afternoon rays in Il Campo!! 
Here is a picture of Il Campo one night when a few friends and I got a few bottles of wine, some cheese, and a loaf of bread and just hung out!

Sunday: Our group went to the theater on Sunday night. And I thought it was very beautiful. Very different then any modern dance performance I have ever seen. I didn't understand any of the words in the songs and there for had to search for emotions on the dancers' faces and in the movement of their bodies. I feel like Mrs. Wilson would have loved it :) 

Saturday: We visited beautiful Museo Civico. Miriam, our program director, took us though the museum explaining certain fresco's. My favorite one pictured the affects of bad government and good government. And the museum also had wonderful views of the city beyond the city wall. The detail in these old paintings is so significant it is beyond me. I was truly amazed. Listening to Miriam describe the fresco's and their deeper meanings was truly a blessing. If I had gone in and looked around on my own I would have thought "How cool. Old paintings." But with detail and descriptions I understood more of the frescos meaning. 



Tuesday: I had a very nice lunch with one of my classmates while we reviewed notes and tried speaking to an older man who was making us speak Italian! He made us re-order in Italian after he taught us how to say what we wanted in English. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help us students learn the native tongue. 

Wednesday: AHH! The mercoledì mattina mercato (Wednesday morning market!) It is fabulous. Everything is cheap and you can get so many things! I know where I will be every Wednesday when I don't have class!!!! 

Friday: Friday morning Anna Maria said "TGIF" even though she had forgotten what it actually meant in english, we had a good laugh. In class we learned about the famous PALIO that takes place twice a year here in Siena. Not sure if I mentioned contrada's or not, but during the Palio ten out of seventeen contrada's compete for victory. It is a marvelous occasion and the Sienese people are very connected to their roots making the Palio  very special event for them. 

Friday afternoon we met at the Enoteca Italiano and all I thought of was how much my MOTHER would love it. You take a windy staircase down to the cellar/basement level filled with different types of wine from each region of Italy. In total there were 62 shelving units. We then went upstairs to taste a bottle of Pinot Grigio. White isn't my favorite but just being there with my classmates and friends was a unique experience and so much fun!!
Here are a few pictures!





This week I had at least one meal alone with each one of my host family members. Dinner Tuesday night my host mother, Anna Maria, was a hoot. We laughed so hard together. She tried to explain that the cheese we were eating came from a sheep. She explained it likes this: "The formaggio comes from the animal that goes "BAAAH"!!!" 
My dinner with Lorenzo this week consisted of talking about the Disco's, drinks, and school. He also puts up with me practicing my conjugations of each verb I have learned so far! He studies engineering and is very sweet! He also brought up the super bowl today at lunch and I got really excited!! And he said we will watch a replay of it Monday! 
Breakfast is usually with Elena. And she teaches me all the curse words and small phrases that Anna Maria would never say! Elena studies chemistry and it's nice to talk to her about girl things. 
Friday night we all had dinner together and I really really enjoyed being all together. Even though they are so busy with their own lives for them to invite me into their home for a semester is very much appreciated. 

Classes are starting to slowly trickle into our weekly schedules. After two more weeks of intensive Italian we will start meeting regularly. I am sooo excited to start my film photo class! 

ok that was alot. i will try and start posting shorter blog posts! 

ciao

-kali 

No comments:

Post a Comment