Tuesday, January 15, 2013

2 days 9 hours and 32 minutes...

I have 2 days 9 hours and 32 minutes until my flight from Phoenix departs for Atlanta. From there we will get on our plane flying into ROME! My mom and I have been packing all week and are excited for the adventure ahead. As most of you know she is 'dropping me off' in Italy like she would 'drop me off at school' in kindergarden. Even though I'm now in 16th grade and could easily do this on my own she needed a reason to visit Italy, and this was the perfect time:)  Needless to say, I am blessed to have my mother traveling with me!  
As the time draws near I realize how much I will be missing in the states. I will be missing Julie&Peters wedding, Coopers birth (love you jess&jeff!), country thunder (ash, cyd, tater, and mike), graduations, our lacrosse season, and of course NHL HOCKEY GAMES. But I am so very excited for this opportunity to study in Italy.
Nestled in the heart of Tuscany, I'm lucky to have the opportunity to study in Siena at the Siena School for Liberal Arts. Where I will be taking a film photography class, italian language course, writing and literature, and lastly art history. And I will be living with a host family!
Studying abroad had never been in my 'plan' until this past summer when I realized I didn't know what I wanted to do, nor did I have any desire to graduate. Everyone always says 'this is the only time you will be able to be selfish. Travel. Explore. Sleep on floors.' And that is exactly what I am going to do. No career plans and no graduation date is the perfect time for me to travel, meet people, eat good food, drink good wine, and immerse myself in a culture that I am unfamiliar with. And I am so excited to learn the language!

There is one quote that I have had in mind for the past few years. And I feel that it is VERY fitting for my upcoming travels...

"If you're 22, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel - as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them - wherever you go" - Anthony Bourdain

arrivederci

-kali 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment