Monday, January 21, 2013

So Much History

Exploring Rome... This isn't real life.
The "famous" sites are absolutely breathtaking. Words cannot describe the emotions I felt walking through the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. So many amazing artists contributed to these ancient creations. My pictures do not do these sites justice.
We woke up relatively early to get to the Vatican City and then toured the museum. Inside the museum my mother asked one of the ladies working "dove il bagno"(where is the bathroom?) and the lady responded in Italian and it left my mother puzzled and confused that she just had to laugh! Natives definitely think we speak Italian!
 After hours of viewing different sculptures and reading little blurbs we climbed numerous steps in small hallways and climbed what seemed like endless windy stairs to get to the grand view of the city.


After saying a quick prayer downstairs in St. Peter's we walked. And walked. And walked! All the way to the Piazza Navona, and then down random streets to the Pantheon.
From there we ventured to the ever famous Trevi Fountain where my mother and I both threw in one coin in hopes that the legend is true. Thrown from the right and over the left shoulder, one coin means that one day you will return to Rome!

From the fountain we made our way back to the St. Regis and on the way stopped at our first gelato spot! Oh my, I don't think I'll ever have ice cream in the states again!!!

Today was the first day that it did not rain ALL DAY. It sprinkled on and off, but we got really lucky! Dinner was fantastic. We both had an eggplant parmigiana (and a bottle of wine between the two of us).

Soon enough I will be meeting my fellow classmates and SSLA staff in Florence and then my real journey begins in the home with my host family in Siena. Here are a few pictures from the day (for Buba) and there are more on my facebook page!








ciao,

kali


No comments:

Post a Comment