Sunday, January 20, 2013

Rome!

2 cars, 2 planes, and 13 hours later our flight arrived yesterday morning at 7:30 am (Italy time). We had to stay up for the whole day so that we could adjust to the time difference! Italy is 8 hours ahead of Arizona. The weather is very grey. It rained both days on and off. Despite the weather, e una bella giornata!!

During the day we ventured the streets of Rome, visited the Spanish Steps and sipped the BEST cappuccino! After a long day/night of travel it was nice to go to bed early!!

Today we went the colosseum! It was beyond amazing, even in the rain. I could not believe I was actually there. Of course we did the touristy thing and listened to the audio tour and I am glad we did. I learned so much of the history, why it was built the way it was, all the materials that went into building it, and information about the gladiators of the games. (It reminded me a little bit of the Hunger Games!!!)
In the afternoon we went to the Borghese Gallery, and WOW I could have easily spent 24 hours there. What amazing artwork and so much history! I was utterly amazed. Thank you Borghese family for your love of art and luxury :)

The language is beautiful and I am slowly picking up words, but wow does everyone talk fast! One of our cab drivers spoke slowly for us and even though there was a language barrier it was still so cool to be able to have a short conversation. All of the cars drive so fast and people J-walk all the time no matter what street. On every other corner there is a fountain or some type of stone work, sculptures and old buildings line the streets. When we sat down for our afternoon coffee we talked to the bar tender about the upcoming election, healthcare, drinking, driving limit and much much more.

Anyway, I promised my aunt CG that I would post pictures here for my Buba to be able to see.
To Buba: Godetevi le foto e ti amo!!









2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Glad you made it safe - I am heading back to Texas tomorrow... Well I am so glad your mom went 1) because she gets to have a ball and 2) to spend some great time with you. Maybe visit the pope and see what we can do about our two churches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have safe travels home! I thought of you ALL day while we visited the Vatican City, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's! Words can't describe how much mom and I were truly amazed.

      Delete